Monday, April 9, 2012

Playlist of the Week: Just the Music Please

I wish all the time that I was more at ease with silence, but especially when I'm working on something I need sound. Whether it's music, podcasts, or television in the background for some strange reason it helps me concentrate. The downside though is that sometimes I get overwhelmed. The perfect audible palate cleanser? Instrumental music. Specifically soundtracks. It plays perfectly in the background because it was made to be in the background. It enhances but doesn't distract. Perfect.

1. The King's Speech- Alexandre Desplat
I only recently saw this movie. I was actually really excited that it was playing last year on our 14 hour flight from Paris to Dallas, but I fell asleep. It may be a little slow moving, but it's an incredible story. Best tracks: The King's Speech, My Kingdom, My Rules, and Queen Elizabeth.






2. A Single Man- Abel Korzeniowski
I'm on a bit of a Colin Firth kick here, but I'll roll with it. This soundtrack is undeniable. It's hauntingly beautiful. Best tracks: Stillness of the Mind and Daydreams.








3. Fantastic Mr. Fox- Alexandre Desplat
I love this movie and the soundtrack is so much like the movie, whimsical without being childlike. It's so much fun to listen to. Best tracks: Mr. Fox in the Fields Medley, Trains, Kristofferson, and Mr. & Mrs. Fox.







4. Pride & Prejudice- Jean-Yves Thibaudet
I probably have to credit this soundtrack for opening my eyes to this genre. With the exception of "The Militia Marches In" and the like, the music here is perfectly soothing. Best tracks: Dawn, The Living Sculptures of Pemberley, Liz on Top of the World, and Your Hands are Cold.







5. Downton Abbey- Chamber Orchestra of London
The best for last. I think what makes soundtracks so much more compelling than other instrumental music is the connection to the movie (or BBC series in this case). I can't hear "The Suite" without seeing the opening credits in my mind. Best tracks: The Suite, Emancipation, Fashion, and An Ideal Marriage.







You can listen to the entire playlist here on Spotify.

No comments:

Post a Comment